The Eighth Annual Graduate Student Seminar Day(s) held on Monday, April 3rd and Tuesday, April 4th was officially opened on day one by Dr. Robert Brackett, Ph.D., IIT Vice President and IFSH Director, and day two by Dr. Richard McDonald, Ph.D., Director, Division of Food Processing Science and Technology, U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The event was a great success and all of our Food Science and Nutrition (FdSN) Graduate students did an outstanding job! The presentations were judged by our panel of judges comprised of four staff members including judges from the FDA and IIT, (Drs. Greg Fleischman, Joelle Salazar, Diane Stewart and Alvin Lee.)
The judges ranked the presentations based on the following criteria:
- Quality of Scientific Research
a) Understanding of the Research
b) Status of Completion of Project (Students must use their own data and convey the percentage of the proposed student project)
- Quality of Slides and Delivery of Presentation
a) Power Point slides
b) Oral Presentation
The awards were presented to the following students:
- 1st Place Certificate of Excellence in Scientific Presentation and $500 - Ms. Anqi Zhao, Master of Science Degree Candidate, Food Safety and Technology - Principal Investigators (PI): Drs. Britt Burton-Freeman and Indika Edirisinghe.
- 2nd Place Certificate of Excellence in Scientific Presentation and $300 - Ms. Yizhu Yan, Master of Food Safety and Technology Degree Candidate - Principal Investigator: Dr. Tong-Jen Fu.
- 3rd Place Certificate of Excellence in Scientific Presentation and $100 – Ms. Runan Yan, Master of Science Degree Candidate, Food Safety and Technology - Principal Investigator: Dr. Carol Shieh.
The Graduate Student Seminar Days help our students to improve in their research skills, presentation skills and critical thinking skills. Hence, they learn so much from your feedback – so thank you to everyone for your continuous support to our students in the FdSN program!
Learn more about Illinois Institute of Technology Food Science and Nutrition program - http://appliedtech.iit.edu/food-science-and-nutrition
Learn more about Institute for Food Safety and Health (IFSH) - www.ifsh.iit.edu