About this Course:
This course will address methods for recovering digital data or evidence and conducting forensic analysis of mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets. Various devices will be compared including iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. A brief review of Linux and related forensic tools. ANAND technology and mobile file systems will be discussed. Students will learn how to unlock and root mobile devices and recover data from actual mobile devices.
- Produce a forensic report that includes the steps in the collection, handling, and preservation of digital evidence from mobile devices.
- Construct a forensic acquisition plan for mobile devices that will account for various scenarios and the limitations of cell phone technology.
- Validate data obtained from the forensic acquisition of mobile devices with current tools.
- Analyze data retrieved from mobile devices with current tools.
- Assess the differences between cellular network architectures and identify their impact on forensic data.
- Analyze data provided from network service providers and cross-reference the results with data obtained from mobile devices.
Grading/CEU award for this course includes assignments, exams, projects, labs and paper.