About this Course:
Electrical Engineering 3 Power 1 is one of the many 3-hour review sessions designed for engineers who plan to register as a professional engineer and wish to prepare for the examinations required to achieve this status. Licensed engineers who must fulfill registration requirements for continuing education may choose to take any of these individual classes. Your participation in these classes awards Continuing Education Units (CEU) which will be recorded on your IIT transcript.
Online PE-EI Review Sessions: In addition to live in the classroom, ALL PE-EI review sessions are available online. Online sessions provide the convenience of anytime anyplace learning and allow sessions to be viewed multiple times. The schedule for the Professional Engineering Review indicates when and at which IIT campus location each session is presented live. Within 24 - 72 hours after the live presentation, each session is made available on IIT's Blackboard Learning System and remains available for the duration of the review course. Those interested in enrolling in individual sessions who have missed the live presentation date may still participate in the online session.? Each session is made available in this way for a two-week period upon enrollment. Review Course.
Who Should Attend:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
- Learn and apply basic three phase power including voltage drop models, three phase voltage current, power calculations, power factor correction and two watt meter method
- Be able to perform voltage drop calculations, identify voltage and current magnitudes for balanced three phase situations, calculate current and power given various parameters, calculate capacitance required to correct a power factor and a basic 2 watt meter method problem
- Learn Per Unit basics and be able to solve a problem in basic PU and convert back to actual quantities
- Learn basic requirements for each type of load and how a base is determined, including changing bases
- Learn transformer basics and be able to perform basic calculations, open and short circuit problems, and efficiency problems
- Learn three phase transformer configurations and be able to calculate basic auto transformer and paralleled transformer problems
- Be able to perform basic calculations, open and short circuit problems, and efficiency problems