Moffett Campus Office:
Moffett Campus Phone:
Food Safety, Food Processing Microbiology, Molecular Microbiology, Protein Biochemistry, Dairy Processing.
Dr. Wan's focus of research includes food processing microbiology of emerging nonthermal technologies, i.e. high pressure processing (HPP), pulsed electric field (PEF), ultrasound, UV and cool plasma, for microbial inactivation, shelf-life extension and food safety enhancement. Dr. Wan’s expertise also includes molecular microbiology and development of DNA-based methods for detection, differentiation and tracking of foodborne pathogens in food systems and environment; dairy processing, protein chemistry, and development and evaluation of bioactive dairy ingredients for functional food applications.
2009: Guest Editor, Trends in Food Science and Technology, Special Edition 20 (9)
2008: Guest Editor, Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, Special Edition 9 (2)
1992-1995: Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, University of Melbourne, Australia
1990-1992: Ph.D. Research Scholarship, Deakin University, Australia
National and International Committee Panels
2012-present: Secretary - Nonthermal Processing Division, Institute of Food Technologist
2012-present: Editorial Board, Journal of Food Protection
2006-present: Member, Nominations Advisory Committee, International Union of Food Science and Technology
2004-present: Member, International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF) China Sub-Commission
2009-present: Professional Member, Institute of Food Technologists
200-present: Member, International Association for Food Protection
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Patazca E. and Wan, J. (2014) Carrier device for high pressure processing at constant temperature. U.S. Patent Application No. 61/945,468. Filed Feb 27, 2014.
2. Buckow R., Semrau J., Sui Q., Wan J., Knoerzer K. (2012). Numerical evaluation of lactoperoxidase inactivation during continuous pulsed electric field processing. Biotechnology Progress. 28(5), 1363-75.
3. Sui, Q., Roginski, H., Williams, R., Versteeg, C., & Wan, J. (2011). Effect of pulsed electric field and thermal treatments on the physicochemical and functional properties of whey protein isolate. International Dairy Journal 21 (4), 206-213.
4. Sui, Q., Roginski, H., Williams, R., Wooster, T., Versteeg, C., & Wan, J. (2011). Effect of ionic strength of pulsed electric field treatment medium on the physicochemical and structural characteristics of lactoferrin. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58 (22), 11725–11731.
5. Sui, Q., Roginski, H., Williams, R.P.W., Versteeg, C. and Wan, J. (2010), Effect of pulsed electric field and thermal treatment on the physicochemical properties of lactoferrin with different iron saturation levels. International Dairy Journal, 20, 707-714.
6. Ng, S., Craven, H., Wan, J., King, K., Williams, R. and Swiergon, P. (2010) Effect of pulsed electric field on microbial quality and protein profiles of milk and milk concentrates. Journal of Food Protection 73 (suppl), 99.
7. Gopal A, Coventry J, Wan J, Roginski H, Ajlouni A (2010) Alternative disinfection techniques to extend the shelf life of minimally processed iceberg lettuce. Food Microbiology 27, 210–219.
8. Wan, J. and Yada, R. (2009) Editorial - Natural and safe foods. Trends in Food Science and Technology 20 (9), 375.
9. Wan, J., Coventry, M.J., Swiergon, P., Sanguansri, P. and Versteeg, C. (2009) Advances in innovative processing technologies for microbial inactivation and enhancement of food safety – pulsed electric field and low temperature plasma. Trends in Food Science and Technology 20 (9), 414-424.
Other Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications on Food Safety and Microbiology
10. Craven, H.M., Coventry, M.J., Swiergon, P., Ng, S., Midgely, J, Versteeg, C. and Wan, J. (2008) Evaluation of pulsed electric field and minimal heat treatments for microbial inactivation in milk. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 9, 211-216.
11. Grove, S., Forsyth, S., Wan, J., Coventry, M.J., Cole, M., Stewart, C., Lewis, T., Ross, T. and Lee, A. (2008) Inactivation of foodborne viruses by HPP. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 9, 206-210.
12. Shamsi, K., Versteeg, C., Sherkat, F. and Wan, J (2008) Enzymatic and microbial inactivation by pulsed electric fields in milk. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 9, 217-223.
13. Hardman, B., Nixon, C., Tellam, R., Robaina, A., Wan, J., Craven, H., Auldist, D., Ward, G., Murphy, K., Brightling, P., Schaefer, M. and Repacholi, N. (2008) Gardiner Foundation Celebrate Dairy Research Projects. Food Australia 60 (4),128.
14. Pan, Y., Shiell, B., Wan, J., Coventry, M.J., Michalski, W.P., Lee, A., and Roginski, H. (2007) Enhancing the antimicrobial and antiviral properties of whey proteins by chemical modification. International Dairy Federation Bulletin No.413, pp9-10, 2007.
15. Pan, Y.; Shiell, B.; Wan, J.; Coventry, M.J.; Michalski, W.P.; Lee, A.; Roginski, H. (2007) The molecular characterisation and antimicrobial properties of amidated bovine β-lactoglobulin. International Dairy Journal.17 (12), 1450-1459.
16. Pan, Y.; Shiell, B.; Wan, J.; Coventry, M.J.; Roginski, H.; Lee, A.; Michalski, W.P (2007) The molecular characterisation and antimicrobial activity of amidated bovine lactoferrin. International Dairy Journal. 17 (6), 606-616.
17. Pan, Y., J. Wan, H. Roginski, A. Lee, B. Shiell, W.P. Michalski and M.J. Coventry (2007) Comparison of the effects of acylation and amidation on the antimicrobial and antiviral properties of lactoferrin. Letters in Applied Microbiology 44, 229–234.
18. Wan J and Versteeg C (2007) Book Review: Emerging Technologies for Food Processing. Food Australia, 59, 45.
19. Pan, Y.; Lee, A.; Wan, J.; Coventry, M.J.; Michalski, W.P.; Shiell, B.; Roginski, H (2006) Antiviral properties of milk proteins and peptides. International Dairy Journal. 16 (11), Technological and Health Aspects of Bioactive Components of Milk, 18-23. Editor(s): Hannu Korhonen, pp1252-1261
20. Wan J (2006) Pulsed electric field for food processing. Food and Drink Business Magazine, December 2006, p10.
21. McCann KB, Shiell BJ, Michalski WP, Lee A, Wan J, Roginski H and Coventry MJ (2006) Isolation and characterisation of a novel antibacterial peptide from bovine aS1-casein. International Dairy Journal 16, 316-323.
22. Wan J, Mawson R, Ashokkumar M, Ronacher K, Coventry MJ, Roginski H and Versteeg C (2005) Emerging processing technologies for functional foods. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology 60 (2), 167-169.
23. Pan Y, Wan J, Roginski H, Lee A, Shiell B, Michalski WP and Coventry MJ (2005) Effect of chemical modification on antimicrobial and antiviral properties of milk proteins. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology 60 (2), 149-151.
24. Wan J, King K, Lee A and Coventry J (2005) Development of Molecular Techniques for Food Microbiological Analysis. IUFoST International Review in Food Science and Technology. Winter 2004/2005 116-124.
25. McCann KB, Shiell B, Michalski WP, Lee A, Wan J, Roginski H and Coventry MJ (2005) Isolation and characterisation of antibacterial peptides derived from the f(164-207) region of bovine αs2-casein. International Dairy Journal 15, 133-143.
26. Wan J, King K, Forsyth S and Coventry MJ. (2003) Detection of Listeria monocytogenes in salmon using the Probelia polymerase chain reaction system. Journal of Food Protection 66 (3), 436-440.
27. Ronacher K, Wan J, Lee A, Michelski WP, Roginski H and Coventry MJ (2003) Antimicrobial action of the lactoperoxidase system on Campylobacter species. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology 58, 205.
28. McCann KB, Wan J, Lee A, Roginski H, Michelski W and Coventry MJ (2003) Novel antibacterial peptides derived from bovine as1-casein. Australian Journal of Dairy Technology 58, 199.
29. McCann KB, Lee A, Wan J, Roginski H and Coventry MJ (2003) The effect of bovine lactoferrin and lactoferricin B on the ability of feline calicivirus (a norovirus surrogate) and poliovirus to infect cell cultures. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 95, 1026-1033.
30. McCann KB, Lee A, Wan J, Roginski H and Coventry MJ (2001) Antiviral activity of milk proteins. The Australian Journal of Dairy Technology. 56 (1), 94.
31. Wan J, King K, Craven H, McAuley C, Tan SE and Coventry MJ (2000) Probelia PCR system for rapid detection of Salmonella in milk powder and ricotta cheese. Letters in Applied Microbiology 30, 267-171.
32. Szabo E, Imlay A and Wan J (2000) Under the Microscope – CRC for International Food Manufacture and Packaging Science. Microbiology Australia March 2000, 25-26.