When you arrive in Chicago, please follow these steps so that you can easily get started:
Transportation to Illinois Tech
Public transportation is available from both airports. Upon arriving, you can purchase a Ventra transit card, https://www.ventrachicago.com/, from the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). English Language Services does not provide transit cards.
Directions to Illinois Tech
- From O'Hare, you would take the Blue Line, and then transfer to the Green or Red Line; your exit will be 35th-Bronzeville-IIT or Sox-35th respectively.
- From Midway, you would take the Orange Line, and then transfer to the Green or Red Line; your exit will be 35th-Bronzeville-IIT or Sox-35th respectively.
If you would prefer to arrange a shuttle or take a taxi, or for more information about transportation to Illinois Tech, visit https://web.iit.edu/international-center/new-students/transportation-to-illinois-tech.
When you arrive at Illinois Tech, you will visit the following departments during daytime business hours (0900-1600 Central Standard Time). Click here for a campus map.
- International Center - located at 3201 South State Street, MTCC- Rm 202, Chicago, IL 60616. The following documents are required for new student check-in:
*If you transferred from another U.S. institution, the International Center will also need to copy your previous school's I-20/ DS-2019 form.
- Student Information Form - provided at check-in
- Passport information page
- VISA stamp
- I-20 or DS-2019*
- EAD Card (If Applicable)
- Card Services - You will take your school picture and receive your Illinois Tech student ID; 3241 S. Federal, Hermann Hall 201, Chicago, IL 60616
- Housing - If you requested housing and signed a contract, you will check in; 3241 S. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616.
You may drop off your bags or luggage at housing first, but you MUST have your student ID to check in. If you arrive after business hours, housing will accommodate you for one night, and you will check in the next day after you receive your student ID.
You MUST attend the mandatory orientation. Please click here to check the Program Calendar to be sure you attend the orientation. During the orientation, we will help get you started at Illinois Tech with the following:
- Welcome to the university
- Assessment and placement
- Registration for courses
- Expectations of a student
- Explanation of visa status
- Explanation of health insurance
- Explanation of housing and meals
- Introduction to cultural differences
- Navigating Chicago
You will automatically be registered for the English Language Program once you have arrived and your level determined; your schedule will be determined for you. You do not need to do anything prior to arriving.