Students interested in the Intensive English Program (IEP) should fill out an application and begin gathering documents for the issuance of an I-20. To be admitted to the program, students must have...
- the equivalent of a high school diploma. A transcript or mark sheet must be provided as evidence.
1. Complete and submit application to the English Language Services. Click here to begin an application.
2. Submit the following documents through the online application.
- Copy of passport
- Official transcripts or certified copies of the marks or grades of courses completed from all institutions attended including high school, college, university, or vocational school as well as any examination scores. Scanned copies will be accepted through application, but ORIGINAL must be official, sealed, and may be received upon arrival to campus.
- Bank statement showing enough money to pay for the anticipated number of semesters you will attend. This can be scanned first but the ORIGINAL must be sent.
- Illinois Tech English Language Services' Financial Affidavit of Support for F-1 or J-1 students to demonstrate that you or your sponsor have available finances to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at Illinois Tech. See Tuition and Fees.
- If you're bringing a spouse or dependent, please download the dependent request form and submit the completed form to email@example.com.
- Optional - Official copy of the English proficiency TOEFL or IELTS score report. The TOEFL code to send your scores to Illinois Tech is 1318.
- Please note: Students will be given an English assessment upon arrival to determine their English level in listening, reading, speaking, and writing. An English Language Proficiency Assessment score such as TOEFL or IELTS may be submitted prior to arrival to help determine level, but it is not required.
1. English Language Services (ELS) will issue an A number for the student once all documents have been received and verified. This is the student’s official ID number for the university.
2. ELS will make a decision based on your application.
3. You will receive an email within 2 weeks stating whether or not you have been accepted.
4. If accepted for the IEP, you must also pay the $100 nonrefundable Application Processing Fee.
- Effective for the fall 2018 semester, admitted IEP students must pay a $100 nonrefundable Application Processing Fee to cover application processing, document evaluation, processing and shipment of the I-20 (internationally or domestically), and placement exam reservation. This fee applies to both newly admitted students and students who have deferred their admission to a future semester. Payment of the fee must be received prior to creating an I20.
5. After you have paid the Application Processing Fee, English Language Services will then work with the Admissions Office at Illinois Tech to create the I-20 that you use to apply for an F1 student visa. Creating the I-20 may take up to four weeks after the student is accepted.
6. A package will be sent to you with the following:
- The I-20
- The Letter of Acceptance detailing the program, important dates for arrival, tuition information, further instructions, and student ID with online access information to the Illinois Tech student single sign-on portal, myIIT.
7. If you will be staying in housing at Illinois Tech Residence and Greek Life, you should reserve a room at http://web.iit.edu/housing/room-reservation.