Students interested in the Intensive English Program (IEP) should fill out an application and begin gathering documents for the issuance of an I-20.
To be admitted to the program, students must have...
- the equivalent of a high school diploma. A transcript or mark sheet must be provided as evidence.
- at least two years of formal English study, although more is recommended as our program is not intended for beginners.
1. Complete and submit application to the English Language Services. Click here to begin an application.
2. Submit the following documents through the online application.
- Copy of passport
- Official transcripts or certified copies of the marks or grades of courses completed from all institutions attended including high school, college, university, or vocational school as well as any examination scores. Scanned copies will be accepted through application, but ORIGINAL may be requested in order to complete the application. If required, original documents must be official and sealed.
- Bank statement showing enough money to pay for the anticipated number of semesters you will attend. This can be scanned first but the ORIGINAL must be sent by mail if requested.
- Illinois Tech English Language Services' Financial Affidavit of Support for F-1 or J-1 students to demonstrate that you or your sponsor have available finances to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at Illinois Tech. See Tuition and Fees.
- If you're bringing a spouse or dependent, please download the dependent request form and submit the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Optional - Copy of the English proficiency TOEFL or IELTS score report. The TOEFL code to send your scores to Illinois Tech is 1318.
- Please note: Students will be given an English assessment upon arrival to determine their English level in listening, reading, speaking, and writing. An English Language Proficiency Assessment score such as TOEFL or IELTS may be submitted prior to arrival to help determine level, but it is not required nor does it determine IEP placement level.
1. English Language Services will issue an Campus-Wide Identification number (CWID or A-number) for the student once all documents have been received and verified. This is the student’s official ID number for the university.
2. English Language Services will make a decision based on your application.
3. You will receive an email within 2 weeks stating whether or not you have been accepted.
4. If accepted for the IEP, you must also pay the $100 nonrefundable Application Processing Fee.
- The Application Processing Fee covers application processing, document evaluation, processing and shipment of the I-20 (internationally or domestically), and placement exam reservation. Payment of the fee must be received prior to creating an I-20.
- English Conditional Students: This fee is not required for conditionally admitted students.
- Deferrals: Students who defer more than once will need to pay the fee again before being issued a third I-20.
5. After you have paid the Application Processing Fee, English Language Services will request the I-20 that you use to apply for an F1 student visa. Creating the I-20 may take up to four weeks after the student is accepted. You will receive an email notification once your I-20 has been processed so that you can begin scheduling your visa interview.
6. A package will be sent to you via UPS with the following:
- Letter of Acceptance detailing the program, important dates for arrival, and further instructions
You will receive an email notification once your I-20 has been shipped. It usually takes 5-7 business days for a student to receive their I-20.