Illinois Institute of Technology offers outstanding undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs in Information Technology & Management (ITM). With 9 specializations that target specific careers, and more than 100 courses, the program offers unparalleled breadth and depth.
Courses are taught using a hands-on, reality-based approach to education, in which students apply what they learn in class to solve real-life problems. The ITM curriculum is a blend of theoretical content and practical application with projects and laboratory-based instruction in which you will learn it and do it. The Information Technology and Management program is designed to broaden and deepen the student's knowledge of new and emerging information technologies, the application and integration of these technologies, and the administrative practices used in the effective management of these technologies.
This program is appropriate for students interested in Information Technology (IT) and applied technology with a strong academic background. The undergraduate program is appropriate for high school graduates and students transferring from a community college or four-year university, and international students. Students come from a wide variety of academic backgrounds. It is helpful, but not required, that students have completed previous technology courses.
Why ITM at Illinois Tech?
- Promising Job Outlook – technology continues to be one of the fastest growing and most popular job sectors. Our students go work for companies like Google, Microsoft, eBay, Nokia, IBM, AT&T, KPMG, Chase, Deloitte, Alcatel-Lucent and others.
- 9 Career-Focused Specializations – there are 9 career-focused specializations that allow you to concentrate your study in areas of interest and career goals. Specializations can make you more qualified for future employment. Undecided? There is a general course of study. Learn more about the 9 ITM specializations.
- Career Options – course work and specializations allow you great flexibility to pursue a variety of IT careers.
- Reputation – Illinois Tech is a well-respected Ph.D.-granting university that has built an outstanding reputation since its inception in 1890
- Tech – the best place to get a tech degree is a tech university
- 100+ Courses – offers you the ability to pursue your educational interests. Learn more about the ITM courses.
- Hands-on – ITM Students do more than read text books - they do real-world IT projects. You will learn it, apply it and then do it with guidance and support from faculty.
- Integrated - the curriculum integrates IT disciplines of management, development, technology and theory, operations, and security.
- Online courses – many courses are available online 24/7 offering you the convenience of fitting the class to your schedule
- Labs/Resources – Illinois Tech School of Applied Technology has several labs and resources such as the Idea Center to support your learning experience
- Applied vs. Theory – the ITM program is more applied but includes theory. We integrate theoretical principles learned in the classroom with applied hands-on laboratory and project collaboration.
- Professional program – ITM is a professional program. No thesis is required. Courses are offered in the evenings.
- Technology & Business – depending on your specialization, the program can range between 50-80% technology and 20-50% business. Information Technology’s mission is to provide technology solutions for business.
- Real-world Projects – many courses allow you to pick a real-life IT problem and use it as your class project. Learn more about ITM student projects
- Support – You will interact closely with faculty and staff thanks to smaller class sizes. Faculty are able to mentor you in class and guide your personal development.
- Outstanding Faculty – all ITM faculty have significant industry and academic experience and are experts within their field. They can share real-world experiences and career advice.
- Industry Partnerships - Illinois Tech has partnered with industry to provide sponsors, mentors and to help connect you with companies.
- Chicago - Illinois Tech is located in the third largest city in the United States. Chicago has lots to offer - entertainment, sports, restaurants, museums and job opportunities.
About our Students – you will be collaborating with other outstanding students. Take a look at some of our featured students.
Who is ITM appropriate for? – Ideal students are interested in IT and applied technology with a strong academic background. It is helpful, but not required, that students have completed previous technology courses.
Certifications – In addition to providing a solid academic background, coursework can prepare you for vendor-neutral certification exams such as, A+, Linux+, Network+, Server+, and Cloud Essentials and for certifications such as Microsoft Certified Professional, Microsoft Certified System Administrator, and Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist; Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform; Oracle Certified Database Administrator; and other certifications from organizations such as the Information Systems Audit and Control Association; the Linux Professional Institute; and the System Administration, Networking and Security (SANS) Institute.