Moffett Campus Office:
Moffett Campus Phone:
Nonthermal food processes, pulsed light processing, modeling and simulation.
Dr. Krishnamurthy’s research focus includes but not limited to applications of novel food processing technologies (high pressure processing, ultrasound, cold plasma, microwave heating, UV-light, and pulsed light processing) for sterilization, pasteurization, and/or value addition; heat transfer; modeling/simulation.
“Sigma Xi Award” (junior faculty category) presented in recognition of “Outstanding Accomplishments in Research and Scholarship”, Illinois Institute Technology, 2014
“Outstanding Volunteer Award” “presented in recognition and gratitude of exemplary volunteerism”, Nonthermal Processing Division, Institute of Food Technologists, 2013
“Gerald T. Gentry Award for Excellence in Graduate Research”, 9th College of Agricultural Sciences Gamma Sigma Delta Undergraduate and Graduate Research Expo, Pennsylvania State University, 2002
National and International Committee Panels
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Blackwell publishing, 2008 – present
Editorial board Member, Journal of Food Processing & Technology, OMICS Publishing Group, 2010 – present
Editorial board Member, Journal of Dairy Science, American Dairy Science Association, 2009-2011
Member of review panel, BARD (United States – Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund) research proposals on Food Products (Postharvest Food Technologies), 2012-2013
Jury member, Research & Development award jury, Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago, IL (annual award), 2011-2014
Jury member, Evans Turek Scholarship/internship (sponsored by Kraft and Mondelez foods), Institute of Food Technologists, 2013-2014
Jury Member, Babcock Award Jury, Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago, IL, 2009-2011
Member, Hot Topics workgroup, 2014 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo, Institute of Food Technologists
Member, Teaching and Learning workgroup, 2014 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo, Institute of Food Technologists, 2013-2014
Member, Food Processing & Packaging Subpanel, IFT Annual Meeting & Food Expo development, Institute of Food Technologists, 2011-2013 (yearly appointments)
Member, Food Engineering Core Science Subpanel, Annual Meeting & Food Expo development, Institute of Food Technologists, 2009-2010
Member, Selection committee, Pennsylvania Governor’s school for the Agricultural Sciences, 2005
Founding member and vice-president, “Institute of Food Safety and Health” chapter, “Phi Tau Sigma: The honorary society of food scientists”, 2013- present
Professional Member, Institute of Food Technologists, 2001-present
Member, International Association for Food Protection, 2001-present
Member, Alpha Epsilon: The honor society of Agriculture, food, and biological engineering, 2002-present
Member, Gamma Sigma Delta: The honor society of Agriculture, 2002-present
Member, The Scientific Research Society (Sigma Xi), 2004-present
Member, American association of food scientists for the Indian subcontinent, 2005-present
Life member, Phi Tau Sigma: The honorary society of food scientists, 2007-present
Member, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, 2001-2011
Member, American Society for Microbiology, 2001-2007
Member, Institute of Biological Engineering, 2003-2007
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications in the Last 4 Years:
1. Tadapaneni, R., H. Daryaei, K. Krishnamurthy, I. Edirisinghe, and B. Burton-Freeman. 2014. High Pressure Processing of Berry and Other Fruit Products: Implications on Bioactive Compounds and Food Safety. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. DOI: 10.1021/jf404400q.
2. Grasso, E., C.N. Stam, N.M. Anderson, and K. Krishnamurthy. 2014. Heat and steam treatments. In Microbiological Safety of Low Water-activity Foods and Spices. Edited by Doyle, M. J. Kornacki, and J. Gurtler, Springer Publishing. In press.
3. Doona, C.J., F.E. Feeherrry, H. Feng, S. Grove, K. Krishnamurthy, and A. Lee. 2014. Combining sanitizers and nonthermal processing technologies to improve fresh-cut produce safety. In: Electron beam pasteurisation and complementary food processing technologies. Edited by Pillai, S.D. and S. Shayanfar, Woodhead publishing. In press.
4. Reddy, N.R., K.M. Marshall, T.R. Morrissey, V. Loeza, E. Patazca, G.E. Skinner, K. Krishnamurthy, and J.W. Larkin. 2013. Combined high pressure and thermal processing on inactivation of type A and proteolytic type B spores of Clostridium botulinum. Journal of Food Protection. 76(8): 1384-1392.
5. Yang, W.W. N.R. Mwakatage, R.Goodrich-Schneider, K. Krishnamurthy, and T.M. Rababah. 2012. Mitigation of major peanut allergens by pulsed ultraviolet light. Food and Bioprocess Technologies 5(7): 2728-2738.
6. Keklik, N.M., K. Krishnamurthy, and A. Demirci. 2012. Food decontamination by UV and pulsed UV light. In: Microbial Decontamination in the Food Industry: Novel Methods and Applications. Edited by M. Ngadi and A. Demirci. Woodhead publishing. ISBN: 9780857090850. pp. 344-369.
7. Ramaswamy, R., K. Krishnamurthy and S. Jun. 2012. Food decontamination by infrared heating. In: Food Decontamination: Novel Methods and Applications. Edited by M. Ngadi and A. Demirci. Woodhead publishing. ISBN: ISBN: 9780857090850, pp.
8. Krishnamurthy, K. and J. Sneed. 2011. Cooling practices used in school foodservice. Food Protection Trends. 31(12):828-833.
9. Demirci, A. and K. Krishnamurthy. 2011. Pulsed ultraviolet light. In Nonthermal Processing Technologies for Food. Zhang, H., G. Barbosa-Cánovas, V.M. Balasubramaniam, P. Dunne, D. Farkas, and J. Yuan, eds. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing. ISBN: 0813816688, pp. 249-261.
Other Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
1. Krishnamurthy, K., S. Jun, J. Irudayaraj, A. Demirci, and H.K. Khurana. 2010. Infrared radiation heating for food safety improvement. In Infrared Heating for Food and Agricultural Processing. Editor: Zhongli Pan. CRC Press. ISBN: 9781420090970
2. Jun, S., Krishnamurthy, K., J. Irudayaraj, A. Demirci, and H.K. Khurana. 2010. Fundamentals and theory of infrared radiation. In Infrared Heating for Food and Agricultural Processing. Editor: Zhongli Pan. CRC Press. ISBN: 9781420090970
3. Krishnamurthy, K., J.C. Tewari, A. Demirci, and J. Irudayaraj. 2010. Spectroscopic and microscopic investigations of inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus by pulsed UV-light and infrared heating. Food and Bioprocess Technologies 3:93-104
4. Yang, W., Chung, S.Y., O. Ajayi, and K. Krishnamurthy, K. Konan, and R. Goodrich-Schneider. 2010. Use of Pulsed Ultraviolet Light to Reduce the Allergenic Potency of Soybean Extracts. International Journal of Food Engineering. 6(1): Article 1. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/ijfe/vol6/iss3/art11/
5. Krishnamurthy, K., J. Irudayaraj, A. Demirci and W. Yang. 2009. UV pasteurization of food materials. In Food Processing Operations and Modeling, 2nd edition. Editors: Jun, S. and J. Irudayaraj. CRC Press
6. Krishnamurthy, K., H.K. Khurana, S. Jun, J. Irudayaraj, and A. Demirci. 2009 Infrared Radiation for Food Processing. In Food Processing Operations and Modeling, 2nd edition, Jun, S. and J. Irudayaraj, eds., CRC Press
7. Yang, W, V.K. Aljapur, K. Krishnamurthy, H. Feng, R. Yang, and T.M. Rababah. 2009. Expedited extraction of xylan from corncob by power ultrasound. International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. 2(4):76-83.
8. Krishnamurthy, K., A. Demirci, and J. Irudayaraj. 2008. Pulsed UV-light treatment of milk and milk foam to inactivate Staphylococcus aureus. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 51(6):1-8.
9. Krishnamurthy, K., S. Jun, J. Irudayaraj, and A. Demirci. 2008. Infrared heat treatment for inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus in buffer and milk. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 31(6): 798-816. Available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4530.2007.00191.x.
10. Krishnamurthy, K., H.K. Khurana, S. Jun, J. Irudayaraj, and A. Demirci. 2008. Infrared heating in food processing: An overview. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 7(1):2-13.
11. Chung, S.Y., W. Yang, and K. Krishnamurthy. 2008. Effects of pulsed UV-light on peanut extracts and liquid peanut butter. Journal of Food Science 73(5):C400-C404.
12. Krishnamurthy, K., A. Demirci, and J. Irudayaraj. 2007. Inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus in milk using flow-through pulsed UV-light treatment system. Journal of Food Science. 72(7):M233-M239.
13. Demirci, A. and Krishnamurthy, K. 2007. Disinfection of water by flow-through pulsed UV light sterilization system. Ultrapure Water Journal 1:1-5.
14. Krishnamurthy, K., A. Demirci, and J. Irudayaraj. 2004. Inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus by pulsed UV light treatment. Journal of Food Protection. 67(5): 1027-1030.
15. Krishnamurthy, K., A. Demirci, V.M. Puri, and C.N. Cutter. 2004. Effect of packaging materials on inactivation of pathogenic microorganisms on meat during irradiation. Transactions of ASABE. 47: 1141-1149.